BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Buddhism and Allergies

I don't appear to be allergic to _anything on this earth_. However this topic has become very near and dear to my heart. See I've recently been diagnosed with a condition called Chronic Sinusitis.

It sucks.

In fact my allergist/immunologist had a more specific name for it that I've forgotten. chronic sinusitis which basically means, chronic sinusitis.

During my many conversations with said allergist one of the first things she told me to do was 'minimize exposure to particulate matter' Wash my cat or dog, use a really good vacuum, don't go dusty places, etc. Which got me thinking. In Buddhist ceremonies there's a lot of incense. Incence everywhere.

Even if it's a really mild Japanese incense like the stuff we use at the Zendo. It's still a lot Because we use it every time

Time to meditate - incense.
birthday of the Buddha - more incense
Service, start with incense, do some zazen (more incense) then light up some incence while we do our ceremony.

Heck I couldn't even guess how much incense gets burned at a sesshin or a zazenkai. How the heck do allergy sufferers deal with that.

I'm on a quest to find a nose plug like the kind swimmers use. Problem is that since it's November the swimming sections of the various all in one stores like target and wallmart have diminished considerably. I'm going to have to go to a sporting goods store but I haven't had a chance.

There doesn't seem to be much useful out there. I found an article on someone talking about HOW to make a nose filter. Then I found these freaky (but cool) looking japanese things I can't find in the us or even on a reasonably english speaking website. also these which seem like I'd like to try them but the website looks a bit sketchy and I'm honestly nervous about givin them my money.



UPDATE: I swear on the stupa of the world honored one himself that these did not show up on google when I posted this the first time less than a week ago but now it's at the top of the list. And they use paypal, I'm totally ordering some.

0 comments: