BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Food

I'm starting a new thing here on BNZ.* Food product reviews. Vegetarianism is a bit of a hot topic in the arena of Buddhism and if you're reading this site you're probably an idiot, I mean you're probably not your average tree hugging hippie the way that so many of us* of Americans who find Buddhism are.

So while in principle I agree with the Idea that meat analogs (fake meats) are lame and why can't you just eat veg without trying to make it look like a turkey. In practice it's a different story. My old man was raised in Oklahoma for most of his life. He ran a restaurant in a Major hotel there. I grew up eating meat, Lots of meat. In fact I don't think I ever cooked a vegetable more than 30 times from the time I started cooking*** until I got married.****

So now that I am veg I still have a lot of homey happy associations with the carcass foods. Turkey on thanksgiving, cold turkey for days afterwards. I know the difference between the white and dark and actually know how to make giblet gravy that is fantastically awesome and not totally gross.***** As well as a whole lifetimes full of eating burgers and other crap.

So while we do eat a lot of just veg stuff we also tend to supplement with some sort of veggie strip or 'chicken nuggets' a couple of times a week. though honestly we do those probably because they're fricking easy and fast rather than preparing a whole meal.

And since transitioning from non-veg to veg is much easier when you can eat the same foods. I'll give some run downs on some foods that make the cut and some that don't and hopefully some things that make the switch easier. Usually it's not the 'meat' flavor that you're missing but the huge hit of salt and fat and savory that usually come with it.

Ironically I was inspired by my friends over at Lords of Bacon who have finally been talking about bacon, the love of their life for long enough that someone out there is actually going to be giving them bacon so they can do a review. Congrats to the boys over at LOB and now you'll have to do an actual real review instead of a 30 second text vomit like most of your posts. ^_^

So you can expect a fake bacon review coming up in the not too distant future.
From me.
Not them.

* Did I really just acronym myself?
** I say us because even though I cuss a lot and I like martial arts and shooting guns I am still a bit of a tree hugging hippie kind of deep down.
*** something like 12 or 14.
**** later
***** The trick is first to boil it down several times for like 10 hours and then blend the shit instead of leaving all those gross assed hunks of giblets.

0 comments: